Storm Water Management in West Norriton
The Clean Water Act is the federal legislation that governs storm water management. Storm water point discharges to waters of the U.S. are regulated using National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits.
In 1999, federal regulations extended coverage of the NPDES program to local separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) serving populations less than 100,000. West Norriton Township is required to comply with the NPDES program as a MS4. Under the NPDES storm water program, permittees must develop a storm water management plan that provides the details of how the community (West Norriton Township) will comply with the requirements of the permit.
Permits are based on a framework of six minimum control measures:
- Construction site runoff control
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations and maintenance
- Post-construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation and involvement
More information on this program is available from the Pennsylvania DEP website.
West Norriton Township Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems
The goals of all municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) programs and West Norriton Township are to:
- Reduce the discharge of pollutants from the township
- Protect water quality
- Satisfy requirements of the Clean Water Act
West Norriton Township would like you to remember that the water and any items that go into a storm sewer go directly into streams. This water is not cleaned in any way and does not go to the waste water treatment plant. West Norriton Township needs all of its residents to assist us in keeping our storm water and storm water sewer system clean by doing the following:
- Clean up after your pets
- Dispose of water properly
- Store materials that could pollute storm water indoors
- Use fertilizers properly efficiently to prevent excess runoff
Also, please monitor storm water inlets near your property. No one should dump anything into the storm sewer system. If you see someone dumping, please call the township at 610-631-0450.