Intent & Purpose
Regulation of the location, size, placement, and certain features of signs is necessary to enable the public to locate goods, services, and facilities in the township area without difficulty and confusion; to encourage the general attractiveness of the community; and to protect property values therein. Accordingly, it is the intent of this part to establish regulations governing the display of signs which will:
- Promote and protect public health, safety, comfort, morals, and convenience
- Enhance the economy, business, and industry of the area by promoting the reasonable, orderly, and effective display of signs, and thereby encourage increased communication with the public
Additionally, this part will:
- Restrict signs and lights which overload the public's capacity to receive information or which increase the probability of traffic congestion and accidents by distracting attention or obstructing vision
- Reduce conflict among signs and lights and between public and private environmental information systems
- Promote signs which are compatible with their surroundings, are appropriate to the type of activity to which they pertain, and are expressive of the identity of proprietors and other persons displaying signs
In their interpretation and application, the provisions of this part shall be held to be the minimum requirements necessary for the promotion and protection of the public health, safety, comfort, morals, and convenience.
Conflicting Codes & Ordinances
If any provision or requirement of this part is found to be in conflict with any other provisions or requirements of this chapter or of any other applicable governmental law, ordinance, resolution, rule, or other governmental regulation of any kind, the regulation which establishes the more restrictive rule or higher standard shall govern.
This part shall not abrogate any private agreement existing prior to the effective date of this part, provided that where the regulations of this part are more restrictive or impose higher standards than such private agreements, the provisions and requirements of this part are separable:
- If any court of competent jurisdiction determines any provisions of this part to be invalid, such determination shall not affect any other provisions of this part not specifically included in the court's judgment order
- If any court of competent jurisdiction determines any provision of this part to be invalid as applied to any particular sign, such determination shall not affect the application of such provisions to any other sign not specifically included in the court's judgment order